Sinner’s Prayer – Recognizing the Need
The “Sinner’s Prayer” is a term that describes the words spoken by a person when he or she has recognized their sin and their need for a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. It goes something like this:
Let us pray the Sinner’s Prayer
“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus’ name, I pray, Amen.”
This prayer is only a suggestion. When talking to God, know that He understands what you are saying, so never be afraid to speak to Him with your own words. He understands not only your words but the desires of your heart. God created you and He loves you and wants to help you each and every day, but you have to let Him do that. You have been given free will. Yes, He likes the good that you are doing but that alone will not save you. He wants you to ask and sometimes that’s the hardest thing we have to do. Believe me, when I tell you, you will never regret your walk with Him.
If you decided to repent of your sins and receive Christ today,
Welcome to God’s family!
After you pray the Sinner’s Prayer
Now, as a way to grow closer to Him, the Bible tells us to follow up on our commitment.
- Get baptized as commanded by Christ.
- Tell someone else about your new faith in Christ.
- Spend time with God each day. It does not have to be a long period of time. Just develop the daily habit of praying to Him and reading His Word. Ask God to increase your faith and your understanding of the Bible.
- Seek fellowship with other followers of Jesus. Develop a group of believing friends to answer your questions and support you.
- Find a local church where you can worship God.
Sign up for your free e-book
"Keys to Finding Your Opportunities"