Last Chance for Free Advice about your Ideal Opportunities!
Nana hits you hard with this one. I’ve found that most people have a problem even considering coming to the site. Who would go to their mother or grandmother for advice on what they should do with their life? Well, readers, today is your Last Chance for Free Advice about your Ideal Opportunities.
I’ve been writing about opportunities for the past several months as you know if you’ve been reading the posts here. And yes, I do know about opportunities. My life truly has been filled with them and I can help others learn how to take advantage of their opportunities.
What Have I Learned
Writing this blog has been an opportunity for me. However, I have found that writing about opportunity is not a topic that most people want to read and learn about. At least as I said – not from a grandmother type. I never even thought about my age when starting this blog. There was information I had that I thought would be useful and wanted to pass it on to help others. Guess I’m just too young at heart to think of age as an obstacle. Oh my, I’m learning that it is.
What to Do with Failure?
So – let’s say that adventure failed. I’ve had other ventures during the years where I’ve failed. But failure doesn’t mean life is over, or in this case, that blogging is over. Instead, it means that I have to make a change. When one direction isn’t working you don’t crawl up and cry ‘woe is me’. LOL. No. First, you take some time to think about what went wrong. Then you think about what you could do better or differently.
Why Things Went Wrong
Okay. Let’s look at what went wrong.
- I chose a topic that I wanted to write about without taking the time to find out whether it was something others were interested in learning about. Then I didn’t stop to think whether this was causing people pain or whether people were looking for a solution to solve this.
- Second, I didn’t think about how I was going to let people know about the blog and the topic. I only advertised on Twitter and my personal Facebook page because that was quick and easy. Probably nothing wrong with that if I had done it more consistently but I didn’t take the time to post on each as much as was needed. Obviously, I should have looked on other social media for readers.
- Third, I didn’t write to a specific person who needed to hear what I had to say. I think I was hoping anyone who was looking to change their life or start a life would just mosey over to the site and get the help they needed. Everything was kind of general and good for all.
- Lastly, I never considered what I would do to earn the money I needed to make to continue this blog. I didn’t need much – I think around $200/month would be sufficient. But I didn’t even have an idea of what I could do with the topic to earn that small amount. I had thoughts of an eBook in the future but realistically they sell for what – $10.00 tops?
Taken all together, I had done just what I was teaching others not to do. I wasn’t following my own directions. Directions I knew cold. After all, I had been a business owner in the past but I certainly didn’t treat this whole thing like a business.
What Was Needed?
Now, what should I do? I thought for those few of you who have come to the site and signed up, you deserved to have a share in the journey I am taking to find out:
1) what I should do and
2) what I want to do. Both are needs to be considered when choosing a topic. In addition,
3) I need to come up with a topic that I can monetize enough to get the blog self-supporting. Of course, I would love to come up with an idea that would make me rich also. LOL. Always a temptation no matter what business you start out to create.
Following my journey may help some of you learn how to handle failure and move forward.
I went back to the post I had done on Should I Start a Blog and read over my recommendations to others. Time to start listening to my own good advice. What should one do first? Well right there, top of the things to do was to write down all the things you thought you could write about. The Idea List. Oh, my. Nana has a very long list of ideas. I did that before I started this blog in the beginning. But now it was time to do it again. I was sure some of the ideas had not changed. But I hoped there would be some new ideas to add to the list.
I reviewed what should be on the “Idea List”.
- Everything I think I am good at.
- Narrow that down – Am I an expert at any of these?
- Things that people ask me for help with.
- Or things that people compliment me on.
- How about things I would like to learn.
- Another area was experiences that I have had.
- And there are things I had done that others would like to learn how to do also.
There was a pretty good list of ideas for me to tackle. It kept me busy for the next week or so.
Once I had that list I needed to look at what problem other people might have that each of those ideas could address. Was there some solution I could come up with that would help solve their problem? And third, was this a problem that needs a solution that people would pay to solve?
Meanwhile, I continued on with the blog as I had originally set up and continued writing posts.
I tried to do a survey to find out who the people coming to the site were and to learn a bit more about that. That didn’t work. I think outside of the family (God bless them) I had only 2 replies. Quickly, I learned – people don’t like surveys.
What amazed me most was the size of the list I had to choose from of experiences I had had and things I learned to do over the past lifetime. Which of these should I choose? What was one thing that would resonate with people? The answer came when I posted the question on a website I belong to and it surprised me.
The suggestion was that I should just be a Nana and be available to help others in any way I was able. Wait and see what types of questions people would have and work from there. I had already been thinking along the lines of what I could do to help other grandparents and this went along with that.
SO….. my dear friends and readers, NanaPennypockets will continue to write some about “Opportunity“ but that is only one aspect of what this blog will be about. It will now be
“Have a Chat with Nana”.
Most posts will go into the blog section of the site. In addition, across the top of the page, you will find categories for Adult children, Seniors, and for Grandchildren with a drop-down menu to pick different topics you would like to read about. If you have a problem, a question, or need a hug, come to Nana either in the comments below each post, the contact page or reply to Nana’s News, the email letter that comes to you once a week. I’d love to hear from each of you if I can be of any help. We’ll give it some time and see what happens. I could use your help. It will take me some time to get things reorganized around the site so watch for the changes.
Call to Action
I’m going ask each of you to help me get the word out to any of your family and friends who you think might like to visit the site.
If you are young and have older parents and have questions about what to do re problems with them – ask away. And if you’re a grandparent – and have questions about problems with children or grandchildren – ask Nana. I also invite all of you to offer your suggestions for topics you would like me to write about. When I don’t have the answers, I will try to find someone to come to the site and do a guest post on the topic. Today – Oh yes, please all, say a prayer that I will follow God’s leading each and every day.
Love, Hugs, and Prayers,
“Praise be to the Lord, for He has heard my cry for mercy.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise Him.”